23 October 2009

shorter days


The days are getting shorter. The chickens must know this, too, because the new laying hens have stopped laying. I figured that would happen when the days got really short, but not this early in the season. Yesterday was the third day in a row that we got eggs only from our heritage chickens -- and even then, only one each day!


Yesterday, I tried something new -- I let the chickens out of their run. I did this late in the day, just in case they decided to wander (figuring they'd want to go home when it got dark). But they didn't really wander much at all. They stayed near the coop, and near me. They enjoyed finding worms (guess they pretty much cleaned all the worms and bugs out of the run by now), and some of them got the chance to stretch their wings and fly. Caleb and Christina had fun (I think) helping me herd them back into the coop when we heard something moving on the hill behind the coop.

Check out our compost pile pumpkin. (The compost pile is up the hill; pumpkin vines creeped down the hill all summer, on top of the azaleas, leaving only one pumpkin hidden underneath.) I think this is our best pumpkin of the year, and we didn't even plant it, let alone purchase seeds for it. I'm never buying pumpkin seeds again.

No comments:

Post a Comment